In a society riddled with complicated, expensive and even dangerous detoxification methods, coconut oil pulling offers a technique that is refreshingly simple. Oil pulling is a practice taken from Ayurvedic medicine that involves swishing, or pulling, unrefined oil in your mouth for several minutes. The modern adaptation of oil pulling has only recently become popular in Western society, but already many are reporting amazing results from this unorthodox therapy.
Claimed benefits of oil pulling cover everything from curing gingivitis to facilitating weight loss. Some users even report a decrease in grey hair! However, since oil pulling is not a scientifically documented procedure, claims like these should be viewed skeptically. On the other hand, since oil pulling is such an easy and harmless practice, it’s certainly worth a try to see if some real benefits can be had.
Benefits reported with oil pulling:
- Whiter, straighter teeth
- Healthy, pink gums
- Increased energy
- Decreased migraine headaches
- Clear sinuses
- Less severe asthma
- Decreased allergies
- Improved PMS symptoms
- Regulated menstrual cycles
- Better sleep
- Clear skin
Oil pulling is known as a powerful method of detoxifying the body. Coconut oil expert Dr. Bruce Fife says,
Oil pulling is one of the most remarkable methods of detoxification and healing I have ever experienced in my career as a naturopathic physician.
How to Practice Oil Pulling:
Oil pulling should be done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, before consuming water or any other liquid.
- About one tablespoon of oil should be used.
- Swish the oil slowly and methodically, not vigorously.
- Make sure the oil reaches every region of your mouth.
- Be careful not to swallow the oil.
- Continue swishing the oil for at least 10 minutes, preferably 20 minutes.
- The oil will become thin and foamy as you swish.
- Spit the oil out (in the toilet, to avoid clogging pipes) and rinse your mouth thoroughly with pure water.
- Brush with a natural toothpaste afterwards.
Oil pulling can be done as often as you like. Daily sessions are recommended, if you have specific health problems to address.
Hippocrates Extra Virgin Food-Grade Coconut Oil (Unrefined, unbleached, unydrogenated, cold-pressed) is available.